Medical coders are some of the most important record keepers in physicians’ offices. Medical coding tells the story of each patient’s visit and keeps all office medical records properly organized. If you’re a detail-oriented person who likes to work with computers, a medical coding job could be very rewarding. This position involves reviewing clinical statements containing healthcare services, diagnoses, procedures, and equipment and assigning them universal alphanumeric codes.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that medical record and health information jobs will increase by 15 percent between 2014 and 2024. Certified medical coders typically earn 20 percent more than non-certified coders, according to the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC). Whether you are looking to take the next step on your career path or refresh a certain skill set, earning a Medical Coding certificate from Continuing Education at Bryant & Stratton College will prepare you to reach your next goal.
Program Highlights & Topics
- How to assign standard codes using CPT®, HCPCS, and ICD-10-CM classification systems.
- Key medical terminology
- Introductory and advanced coding
- Overview of healthcare delivery systems and the roles of healthcare professionals
- Rules and regulations around patient confidentiality
At Bryant & Stratton Continuing Education you’ll have access to resources for school, for your career, and for your life. As you try to balance everything in your life, we’ll be here to provide personalized and consistent help. To make sure you’re supported for all the &’s in your life, we provide:
- A personalized academic path to the career you want and unique support to help you get there
- Programs that teach the skills employers want today and tomorrow
- Ongoing career service support and continuing education opportunities
- A team of counselors and advisors dedicated to seeing you succeed
For more information about student life and support services, check out our Career LifePrep page.
Having the marketing career you want is an investment worth making. Bryant & Stratton College offers a variety of payment options and advisors to support your career and life goals.
Completed courses from the Medical Coding certificate program can be transferred for course credit in a corresponding Bryant & Stratton College degree program.
- State Unemployment Programs (if eligible)
- Sallie Mae Smart Option Student Loan®
- Employer Tuition Reimbursement
- The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts Program (MyCAA)