Military Aid

MilitaryFinancial Aid for Military Personnel

Your Bryant & Stratton College financial aid advisor is dedicated to helping you understand and navigate through the financial aid programs and benefits available to military personnel and their families. Simply call or visit our Financial Aid office, and an experienced military coordinator can help you navigate the choices and submit the appropriate paperwork.

Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (MGIB-AD)

The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. This program is also commonly known as Chapter 30.

How Much Does VA Pay?

The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, and if DOD put extra money in your MGIB Fund (called "kickers"). You usually have 10 years to use your MGIB benefits, but the time limit can be less, in some cases, and longer under certain circumstances.

Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits.

Post-9/11 Montgomery GI Bill® Information

This new education benefit program is available to individuals who served in active duty on or after September 11, 2001 and is payable for education pursued after August 1, 2009. If you qualify for assistance under the Montgomery GI Bill on or after August 1, 2009 and you also qualify for assistance under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, you may make an irrevocable decision to receive benefits solely under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.


To be eligible for this aid, you must qualify as one of the following:

  • You served 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001 and are still on active duty or honorably discharged
  • You were released from active duty and placed on the retired list or temporarily disabled retired list
  • You were released from active duty for further service in a reserve division of the armed forces
  • You may be eligible if you were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001

What is covered?

  • Cost of tuition and fees--paid directly to school--not to exceed the most expensive in-state undergraduate tuition at a public institution of higher education
  • Monthly housing allowance—paid directly to you—equal to the basic housing allowance payable to a military E-5 with dependents in the same zip code as your school
  • Yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1,000, paid directly to you
  • A one-time payment of $500 paid to individuals relocating from a highly rural area
"GI Bill®" is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Links for Active duty and TA reserves and TA National Guard Students

Bryant & Stratton College is Non –LOI and does not upload your course schedule into GAE, you must request TA 10 days prior to the course start date.

Here is a great pocket guide – but, be advised that some small items have changed. It should get you off on the right path. You can also reach out to your ESO (Educational Services Officer) on campus to help you use GAE. Your CO should be able to direct you.


Also, here are some basic requirements to keep in mind:

  • 16 semester hours cap per fiscal year.
  • Anything over 12 credit hours will require an override from ESO (Education Services Officer).
  • 130 semester hours for baccalaureate degree completion and 39 semester hours for a master's degree remains in effect.
  • After completing a Bachelor's degree, a soldier must have 10 years of service from his or her BASD (Basic Active Service Date) or PEBD (Pay Entry Base Date) to receive TA toward a Master’s degree. There is no restriction going from Associate’s to Bachelor’s level.
  • Soldiers cannot receive TA toward a second degree at the same level (i.e. no second Associate’s, Bachelor’s or Master’s degrees).
  • GoArmyEd will not be able to fund any courses for the completion of a professional degree (i.e. PhD, MD or JD).
  • Army policy which disallows soldiers flagged for APFT and Height/Weight to use TA will be fully enforced.
  • Soldiers must upload a degree plan signed by their academic advisor, their accounts receivable statement, and their schedule to their GOArmy account.

Additional Links

How to Apply for TA (NON-LOI Version)
Quickstart Class Enrollment Guide